January 6th, 2020 by Adam Armstrong
Today at CES 2020 in Las Vegas, Seagate Technology plc unveiled its new modular storage solution that is designed to manage enterprise, cloud, and edge data, Seagate Lyve Drive Mobile System. This new portfolio has several solutions form SD cards to larger mobile arrays so it can fit into just about any data workflow that needs it. The devices are said to be simple, secure, and efficient to “activate the datasphere” according to Seagate.
Data is important, alive, and coming from everywhere. Smart homes, connected cities, autonomous vehicles, the list of what now generates data goes on and on. Seagate sees this as an opportunity to merge mobile and module under its new Lyve Drive Mobile System portfolio. The company states that this new portfolio gives organizations cost-effective and efficient wyas of moving data between enterprise, cloud, and the edge.
The Seagate Lyve Drive Mobile System portfolio includes:
- Lyve Drive Cards and Lyve Drive Card Reader – High capacity, high-performance 1TB CFexpress cards and a portable card reader for ingesting endpoint data sources.
- Lyve Drive Shuttle – An autonomous data storage and transport solution for easy ingestion from direct-attached, network-attached, and other external storage devices. It offers up to 16TB of capacity depending on HDD or SSD configuration, and an e-ink touchscreen display to copy files directly without a PC.
- Lyve Drive Mobile Array – A sealed, high-performance, 6-bay array that is ruggedized and easy to transport. The mobile array displayed at CES will feature 6 of Seagate’s 18TB Exos HAMR (heat-assisted magnetic recording) hard drives for a total capacity of 108TB.
- Lyve Drive Modular Array – A high-performance 4-bay array with flexible configuration so businesses can build what they need for a particular workflow. The high-capacity modular array displayed at CES will include Seagate’s Exos 2X14 enterprise hard drive, which is the first to integrate Seagate’s groundbreaking MACH.2 multi-actuator technology.
- Lyve Drive Rackmount Receiver – A high-performance datacenter 4U rackmount ingestion hub that accepts two Lyve Drive arrays for high-speed data transfer directly into a data center fabric without the need of cables.